10 simple slow cooker recipes to help fuel your machine!
Tis the season... for slow cooker meals! As Autumn brings with it those crisp, chilly nights, a hot, wholesome slow cooker meal is just the ticket to warm your bones. Chuck 'em on in the morning and it's ready to go when you get home. Add to that you can make bulk batches and it's hello to time saving, stay on track, easy nutrition! All these recipes utilize simple wholefood ingredients and can easy be adapted for high or low carb options, it couldn't be easier!
1. Sweet Potato Chilli - Turkey mince makes this one a bit different to beef (no reason why you couldn't substitute beef though) and the sweet potato and beans make it a great post workout carb refuel meal or even a pre workout carb up for lunch the next day. Check it out at Primavera Kitchen.
2. Mexican Pulled Pork - An abundance of spices ensures this will smells amazing when you get home! Have it with some veggies for dinner and add it to a salad the next day! Check it out at the Hungrycub.
3. Slow Cooker Bolognaise - Who doesn't love a good spag bol!? Here's an wholesome one pot wonder. Serve with carbs for a post training refuel or over low carb veg for a healthy and delicious low carb meal (I love putting this over roasted fennel, zucchini, cauliflower and onion!). To make this lower in calories replace the wine with beef stock and omit the parmesan cheese. Check it out at Real Simple.
4. Easy slow cooked lamb shanks - What kind of slow cooker compilation would it be without lamb shanks? This is easy simple cooking at it's best at Jules Food.
5. Slow Cooked Greek Lamb Shoulder - Super simple recipe with salad and yogurt dressing. Check it out at I Quit Sugar.
6. Braised Beef Roast with Carrot Mash and Olives - Carrot mash is a great lower carb alternative to potato and with beef and herbs this recipe guarantees yumminess! Check it out at Heartbeet Kitchen.
7. Slow Cooker Garlic Lovers Short Ribs - Rich, full flavoured beef ribs with lots of garlic and fresh herbs = amazing! Check it out at Strictly Delicious.
8. Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup - This is a one pot wonder pumpkin soup! If you wanted to bump up the protein with this one you could add some shredded chicken. Check it out at Gimme Some Oven.
9. Crockpot Apple Pork Tenderloin - Autumn means new season apples. Apples and pork go together beautifully in this recipe. Check it out at Clean Eatz.
10. Slow Cooker Paleo Jerk Chicken - If your partial to a bit of spice and heat then this Jerk seasoned chicken recipe should hit the spot! Check it out at Paleo Magazine.
There are a couple of important steps you can take to help you stay on track with your nutrition. One is to plan ahead, create a menu plan and shop accordingly this ensures your cupboard and freezer are stocked with helpful foods. The second is to cook in bulk where you can as this will save you time, money and energy because you'll have leftovers for the next day or for later in the week as back up meals. The slow cooker is a great way to help facilitate easy, time efficient, delicious nutrition, I hope the above recipes help inspire some kitchen magic for you!